On a journey with God in the midst of the world at the present moment.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer Book Reads

How I did it I don’t know, but I was able to get through a few books this summer. I found them all good reads. Three of the books you can say were theology books (they were not heavy reads and were laid out well). I list them below for whoever wants to search them out. I know it may be difficult to read anything soon with our full attention on our studies, but keep the list for down the road.

The Creed – by Luke Timothy Johnson

Catholic theologian Luke Timothy Johnson knows that the creed, although it is recited by millions of us every Sunday, is far from being well understood. In the book He explains to confused Christians why an ancient confession of faith still makes sense in the world. Exploring the Creed line by line, he gives the readers some history behind each phrase, both in Christian Scripture and in church tradition, and he defends its relevance to faith today.

Truth of Catholism – by George Weigel

George Weigel, author of the book Witness to Hope, explores ten controversies related to the Catholic Church. It was a great book and all I can say is a simple invitation that was in the book, “Come inside”. In other words our faith looks different on the inside. - Paulus

What Makes Us Catholic – by Thomas Groome

Most of my friends and I have at least one thing in common. We’re Catholic. That statement immediately brings up the question, what does it mean to be Catholic? Thomas Groome offers some answers. He is a former Irish priest (sorry Sean) and a professor of theology. Mr. Groome says that all Catholics, regardless of their religious involvement in the Church, share a common sense of spirituality. He describes eight spiritual qualities that he believes are distinctively Catholic. These include sacramentality, a sense of community, a commitment to justice, a reverence for tradition, and a disposition toward faith and not despair. A great book – Paulus

Treasure in Clay – Fulton Sheen

I’m still trying to get through this wonderful book. I hope to finish it before classes start. I will write on it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment