On a journey with God in the midst of the world at the present moment.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Where Am I Going



Our family was invited to spend one last weekend in the Poconos with some of our close friends before the summer ended. We were trying to get one more family weekend before the kids start school and diaconate classes start. An alternative motive was also to contemplate the events in my life over the last year and what will be needed to commit to this year’s diaconate classes. Also to again ask the question, “Is God calling me to a special ministry within the Church?” A question I will be asking throughout my diaconate process.

On Saturday, between the rain storms, the guys were able to get a round of golf in. The different views that each hole of the course provided were just breathtaking. Since it was the first time I played this particular course, I was concentrating on watching the group in front of us to see how the course was laid out and were to play my shots. While our group was standing on one of the tee boxes watching the group in front, a sudden fog bank enveloped the course and we quickly lost sight of the group in front. It was amazing how quick the fog appeared. The picture above was taken just before the fog enveloped us. The question, “How do I know where to go?” popped into my mind and I pondered it while we were deciding whether we could tee off. I believe deep down the question referred to my ongoing calling to be a deacon more than where to hit my golf ball that day.

I found great joy in knowing that God is guiding me along my path and I have a great support system in my family, priest, deacons, and fellow classmates to give advice and direction when I may not know where to go. A great feeling of peace came over me after that and I felt good and humbled about the direction God is showing me. This wonderful experience only lasted but a few moments; as did the fog. As quickly as the fog appeared it was gone, but that experience and the joy I felt will stay with me forever. How great is God! Using nature to come to a lowly man on a golf course to let him know he is loved and to give him strength for his journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment